(Drum roll please!)
- What better way is there to exercise your 2nd Amendment rights than to throw some lead down range!
- Having no car is not an excuse! The DEFCON Forums include a shoot thread where details of the carpool are discussed.
- The BSides staff had a shuttle bus that ran to the Rio multiple times a day.
- Registration for the shoot is easy.
- The price is right. $20 at the door. Cheaper if you register early and get one of the discounts.
- You get to spend time with some really great people. Deviant Ollam (of DEFCON17 "Packing & Friendly Skies" fame) for one.
- A bad day on the range is still a great day!
- The smell of gunpowder is exhilarating!
- Transfer of knowledge. I have been shooting for 30+ years and am still learning.
- The chance to shoot guns that you haven't shot before. I have access to quite an extensive collection but there are still guns haven't shot. Friendly shooters will let you shoot their guns.
(Crash of the cymbals!)
To correct my transgressions, I reached out to Deviant and volunteered for the DEFCON22 Shoot. After all, the top reason for me becoming a certified NRA Pistol Instructor and Range Safety Officer was to promote the shooting sports in a positive and safe manner.